Erin's Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Elyssa's Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, July 27, 2009

Flashback - About a Year Ago

Looking at the date today, I decided to write a flashback post about 2 main events that happened about a year ago.

1) I returned to work after my 3 month maternity leave
I felt that my life had changed completely after I had Elyssa. When I was on leave, all my thoughts and time were 100% on Elyssa. I still remember one day when hubby announced happily that he managed to secure a lower interest rate for our home loan. That hardly caused any reaction in me. Instead, the highlight of my day was that Elyssa pooped after not having pooped for a few days !!! Through the 3 months, what she did and did not do practically dictated how I felt.
Anyway, back to my first day of work on July 15. That morning my father came to pick her up. Baby Elyssa didn't cry when I passed her to her "Ah Kong". Instead, I was the one who was bawling my eyes out!!!. After being with her practically 24/7 since she was born, I just couldn't bear to be away from her.

Things didn't get better when I arrived at my workplace. One of my close colleagues (AA) started chatting with me and when he asked about the baby, I felt tears rolling down my cheeks again. (2nd person I shocked that morning. I think he panicked for a while before grabbing some tissues for me !!!) I said I was ok and that I needed to get water from the pantry. In the pantry, I met some female colleagues who naturally asked me about the baby since it was my first day back. Again, I started crying! They smiled understandingly while I muttered something before dashing off to the ladies. At the ladies, I bumped into another colleague and yup, she didn't have to say much before I cried again !!!!
Ha hah....... what a day. Luckily I managed to pull myself together after that.

2) I started my blog
It was pretty unusual circumstances when I started work. My department was still going through a major reorganisation which started just before I went on maternity leave. My line manager had moved on to another role, new manager was not appointed yet, and the temporary manager just said "be patient". Since the work was project based, that left me with nothing much to do. I wasn't too happy with the arrangement since I wanted work to keep my mind of baby Elyssa. Besides, I needed some solid stuff to justify the promotion I seeked.
The silver lining was that I had time to surf the net. I read some mummy blogs, played around with e-blogger and voila....... elyssachong.blogspot was created. He hehh...... pretty impressive for an IT-unsavvy person like me. At that time, I didn't know anyone who had blogs at all. My first entry was about our first holiday in Kuantan. Deep down, there was always a thought that I may abandon the blog after a while.
Now, after slightly over a year, I'm proud that I'm still writing regularly. Not as often as the initial months but I try to make 2 entries a week. Ha hahh..... not strictly enforced either since I want it to remain a joy to write and not a chore. I just love having this blog - I love it that it gives me an incentive to regularly write down Elyssa's developments and to take pictures. I love it that it is an avenue for me to create something of my own. I love it when I get comments. I love it when people tell me they like reading my blog. Heck, I even love it when I read my older entries and see how much she has grown up.
That's all for today. Since I like photos with my posts and since it's a flashback post, here are some photos of Elyssa during the initial 3 months.

2nd night at home. (yeah, she was so chubby that she didn't look like a newborn) -

Fast Asleep. I just love this photo! -

On the Bouncinet at home -

Outing at the Curve when she was 2 months+


Merryn said...

The pics of her on the bouncinet is beautiful and the one at the curve.. she was already so smiley then.. cute! keep it up. i love your blog too!

Mommy to Chumsy said...

hey, may i know how much elyssa weighed when she was born? so chubby!!!

the little prince said...

So cute little elyssa....

Wow..its not easy to go back to work after 3 months with the baby...!

Mummy Gwen said...

It's not easy to be a mum hor. You are doing great. :)

Adrine said...

Merryn - it was a very pleasant surprise indeed when she smiled when we took the photo @ the curve. It was so difficult to get her to smile then.

Barbara - Elyssa was a hefty 4.1kg. When I went to the hospital nursery during our discharge, 1 lady asked me 3 times whether she was a newborn. ha hah!!!

Little prince's mummy - yes, very difficult indeed. Also, I think I'm probably the super emotional type :)

MummyGwen - thanks!

2ma said...

oo...elyssa still have the same smile as she was a baby! so cute! love her dimple smile!!

Health Freak Mommy said...

Oh my, Elyssa looked like a 1-mo baby though she was just days old. My Alycia was like that too. She was born heavy, was heavy throughout her toddlerhood and now, she's still chubby... and loves eating, hehe.

slavemom said...

Ur 1st day of work was a vy emotional one eh. But I can u/std the attachment.

Fussy mum said...

Oh, I love the last pic of Elyssa in your arms... so sweet!