Erin's Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Elyssa's Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mini Milestone@ Gymboree

Last Saturday, I decided to let Elyssa try out the next level of her Gymboree classes. (meant for >3 years old. Afterall, she turns 3 in less than 3 weeks). Main difference for these classes is that parents are not supposed to accompany the kids. Huge difference indeed! Also, it's arranged in such a way that there are 3 back to back classes - Play class, then Music class, then Art class. Almost 3 hours in total.

The night before, hubby and I started giving her pep talks - about how she's going to a "big girl" class now, how it's similar to cousin Justin koko's school, that mummy and daddy won't be there etc etc.

On Saturday morning, she was a little apprehensive when we reached the centre. I told the instructors I will only try out Play and Music, since 3 classes back to back might be a little too much at one time.

She said "bye bye" to me then walked calmly into her class...................BUT I was struggling hard to blink back my tears! Tears were rolling down my face when I went to the washroom. *Sigh*, it was one of those "my baby girl is growing up so fast" moments. (Yup, I'm definitely emotional when it comes to my princess. Reminded me of my first day back at work after maternity leave - 3 month old Elyssa was calm when I handed her to her "Ah Kong", but I started bawling my eyes out. Gosh! I'm gonna be an absolutely nervous wreck when she starts real school, or has her first concert etc !!!)

Needless to say, I was as nervous as can be for the next hour or so. I knew she was familiar with her Gymboree class, but she had never been unaccompanied before. (plus I've seen how she searches for me when she can't see me in her previous classes).
I kept glancing at my watch and checking my phone to see if there were calls from the instructors. What if she won't stop crying???

Halfway through the second class, I couldn't stand it anymore and decided to have a peek. The instructor told me: "Don't worry... She's perfectly alright! She didn't cry at all and she's following the class well". PHEW! Mummy is definitely a worry wart!!
Since she was alright, I decided to let her go for the 3rd class after all.

At the end of the 3 hours, she happily ran towards me with a big grin on her face, proudly showing off her paper bus made during Art class.


Mummy - look at my bus!!
So, my little princess went through 3 hours of class on her own for the very first time. No fuss, no tears (err... on her part. I failed!).

I am mighty proud of her!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

HAhaha, I was drafting out my post about Gymboree too, and then hopped into yours to get the link and found that you've written one on Gymboree too! Talk about coincidence to the max, haha.

Eh, you so emo? Wait till she gets to real kindy next year, and if you're the one dropping her off in the mornings, bet you will be crying more, coz first child, first time for everybody, lotsa emo...

Bravo to Elyssa!

LittleLamb said...

woohoo...which means now..everytime u drop her off for class, u can go shopping or meet up with frens for coffee

Mummy Gwen said...

I am proud of Elyssa too. I think there won't be any problem when she goes to kindy. 3 hours is quite long eh.

Oliveoylz said...

Thumbs up to Elyssa!!! She's such a brave gal! 3 hours and no tears! Mummy has nothing to worry about...

Alice Law said...

Congratulation! You have got a brave little princess!^-^

cre8tone said...

Bravo Elyssa!

Anonymous said...

bravo Elyssa !!! so proud of her :)

Caterina said...

good job elyssa. like i've said before, girls are general more stable and independent compared to boys. she's daring lah, unlike justin. hopefully jensen will be like che che elyssa..

Kristie said...

Clever girl!