Thursday, November 27, 2008
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Here are 8 Random things about me -
1. I'm quite tall at 170 cm. Growing up, I hated being tall and I used to hunch my shoulders to appear shorter.
2. I've got a hopeless sense of direction. During my audit days I wasted lots of time (and petrol!) being lost.
3. I love sour and spicy food.
4. Before Elyssa, I didn't know how to change a diaper.
5. I've been to Bali three times.
6. I almost made it to the top of Mt Kinabalu 2 years ago but had to turn back due to bad weather. So, conquering the peak is something I want to achieve one day.
7. I only learnt how to swallow pills when I got pregnant with Elyssa.
8. I love coffee - the way it smells, the way it tastes and the way it makes me feel !
1. Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves
2. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their 8 things and post these rules
3. At the end of your blog post, you need to choose 8 people to get tagged and list their name
4. Don't forget to leave them a comment telling them they're tagged and to read your blog
The next 8 that I will tag:
5. Fussy Mum
7. Chin Nee
Monday, November 24, 2008
I started with the book "3 Little Pigs" about a week ago. When I first read it (in an animated tone, of course!) I think she didn't quite understand what was going on cos she continued whatever she was doing then. So I used my fingers to point to the words as I read, just to indicate to her that I was using the book. That finally got her attention. But then she started to grab the pages to put into her mouth. That's my greedy gal!
I did it again on the 2nd night and I was so tickled that she laughed out loud when I said in my big bad wolf voice - "I'll HUFFF and I'll PUFFF and I'll BLOW your house down". I repeated that line a few times and each time was rewarded with her laughter. Hubby said the same thing while rocking her left and right, and she laughed out even louder. That was such a joyful time. Whatever stress I had that day just melted away.
Since then, I've been reading to her every night. The other phrases that she likes are:
"LITTLE Pigs, LITTLE Pigs. Let me in" - Big Bad Wolf voice
"No. Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin " - Little Pig voice
but her favourite is still the "I'll HUFFFFF and I'll PUFFFFF and I'll BLOW your house down".
This nightly reading time is now something hubby and I look forward to every day :)
Saturday, November 22, 2008
I was really curious to see her reaction to the rusk. She has always been good when it comes to new types of food, but this was the first exposure to a hard piece of biscuit. I broke off a small piece first. She gummed that piece and looked a little surprised when it dissolved in her mouth. She seemed to like it though and kept opening her mouth for more.
Keh kehh... to gauge how interested she was, I asked hubby to keep his hand stationary. So instead of moving the rusk to her mouth, she had to move her mouth towards the rusk. Just a small little "test" which she passed with flying colours! Confirmed once again that I have a greedy little princess :)
And really enjoyed eating the rusk /feeding herself -
Though it got a little messy at the end -
Well, I'm glad that it was a successful exposure to rusk :)
Sunday, November 16, 2008
What we bought for her-
1. VTech Elephant Stacking Wheel - RM 79.90
2. Bruin Busy Wheeler - RM 26.95
3. Nattou Baby Elephant with Clip - RM 29.95
4. FurReal Baby Lion toy - RM 20.00
5. Pigeon Training Cup - RM 27.00
6. 3 Usborne Story books - RM 23.80 for 3
( Goldilocks & the 3 Bears, 3 Little Pigs, the Little Red Hen)
Elyssa posing with her new things -
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
1. Weight - 9.2kg
2. She can crawl very fast now, especially is she sees something that she wants. Quite a few times, I saw her crawl swiftly to her 2+ year old cousin Justin koko then grab whatever toy that was in his hand. This girl can be really aggressive!
3. New food items that have been introduced to her - green peas, pumpkin, purple cabbage, "kei chi" and yoghurt. Fruits that I've let her licked (to tease her tastebuds) - apple, orange, dragon fruit, papaya, banana, pink guava and pomelo. Not surprisingly, she just loved everything.
4. Likes to pull herself up to standing position
5. Doesn't like to sleep. If she has her way, she'll just play all day.
6. Still can't sleep through the night, despite much "training" from mummy and daddy.
7. Prefers plastic items over soft toys.
Monday, November 10, 2008
Monday, November 3, 2008
She was very warm and thoughts of fever affecting the brain came to us. To be safe hubby said better to bring her to a doctor. So at around 3.30 am we bundled Elyssa into the car to the nearby 24 hour GP. Was relieved when the doc said not to worry. He said that we should only be worried if the temperature reaches 39 degrees. Also, he pointed out she was starting to sweat which was a good sign. But he did advise us to bring her back for a rectal suppository if she was still feverish around 7am. He gave her a dosage of syrup which was supposed to make her sleep better.
Upon reaching home, I tried to nurse Elyssa to sleep. She suckled then fussed, suckled than fussed. (but I was very relieved that her fever seemed to have subsided) At 5am I gave up and asked hubby to make her formula. She immediately gulped down 6 ounces then fell asleep shortly after. She only woke up at around 10.30am.
Luckily no more fever after that and she went back to her normal self. Phew!
Sunday, November 2, 2008
The next big dilemma was of course what brand and model. That was an even more difficult decision. In the end, it was down to Canon 1000D or Nikon D60. Final decision was Canon as it fit into my main criteria - low entry price (just in case I get bored with this new hobby) with the option of upgrading lenses and whatnot accessories later. (apparently for Nikon, better lenses are only compatible for D80 model onwards. D80 costs RM3k plus which is beyond my budget.
So I dragged hubby and Elyssa along with me to Low Yat Plaza last weekend. Final damage to my pocket was RM 2,080 for the Canon 1000D, 4 GB 60x memory card, camera bag, tripod, lens protector and LCD protector sheet.
I tried to read the manual on Sunday night, and it could have easily been french!! I tried again last night and nearly fell asleep. Keh kehh... I think I need to get a photography book with colour pages.