Erin's Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Elyssa's Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, September 16, 2013

My first bib!

So, what is a bib??

To me, it has always been associated with kids and messy eating and drool. But now, there's suddenly a whole new meaning - running bib!


My very first Running Bib


I happily signed up for the 12km Great Eastern Run about one and half months ago. I do hit the gym for aerobics classes so I thought it can't be that bad. Then, I ran on the treadmill and realised........ 12km is a lot further than expected!!! 

So I came up with some rough plan. Run 5km first, then slowly increase by 1km each week.  After my first 5km session at the gym, I was so exhausted that I fell asleep before the girls that night!  For my next gym session, I proudly did 6km. (actually, I was about to stop at 5km and then a guy stepped on the treadmill next to me, so I continued for another km. Talk about positive pressure, huh?)

Managed to do another 6km on the my third session, and then I got really sick :(  My longest bout of bad cough and flu EVER! Really messed up my training plan. 

Two weeks before the run, I still have not resumed training and nearly wanted to quit. Luckily, my running kaki gave me a pep talk over Skype.  Something along the lines of : "Adrine, it's easy to quit. But I know you, you are not quitter etc etc etc". ,  Wahhh....... how to quit like that??!!


I started going to the gym after that.  Even skipped 2 lunch breaks to run. Whooo hoo!!  I never got a chance to run more than 6km though. I was still coughing a bit and didn't want to push my body too hard. My target was to improve my fitness level so I could finish the 12km on the actual day and hopefully get the qualifying medal for finishing within 2 hours and 30 minutes.


Day of the run - All fired up !


My actual time : 1 hour, 44 minutes, 40 seconds.  Whooooo Hooooooo!!!!!!!!!  Felt absolutely AMAZING when I crossed the finish line. 

I got my medal!  Yay! 


Tho it immediately got hijacked by Erin.
 
Not wanting to be left out, Elyssa dug out her old sports medal :-)
 
 
My legs are still aching from the run, but I'm so pumped up! Already identified my next run in November. And my new goal (dare I declare it here?).......is to run a half marathon within the qualifying time. No more half marathons this year (missed the deadline for BSN night run and can't make it for Penang bridge run), so will target early next year.  
 
Oh man.....never imagined myself to be so excited over runs!!!  :-)  

10 comments:

LittleLamb said...

Good job!!!!

My first will be in October.

ChloeRuoyi said...

Well done! I have great admiration for people who can run because I can never do it...no stamina and interest :p

Stacy said...

Aiyo who is this fitness freak and what did she do with my sister. Don't ask me to run. I am totally a quitter... zzzzz.

Haha one girl to kidnap your medal and the other not to be outdone. So funny!

Ai Sakura said...

wow congrats!!! was the guy that joined you on the next threadmill cute that's why you continued another 1km hahah :P

anyway glad you completed it and hope you get to run more :)

Ai @ Sakura Haruka

Caterina said...

You should talk more to my 2nd bro, Eugene. He's running every marathon in the city, be it half or full. N he travels around Msia to run too tho not all la. A running freak. Hahaha

Health Freak Mommy said...

Way to go, yay!!! Wish I could join you ladies in the blogsphere and FB for those runs too!

Mommy to Chumsy said...

Well done! 12km is no easy feat :) Dunno when I can do that :P

Mommy to Chumsy said...

Well done! 12km is no easy feat :) Dunno when I can do that :P

Adrine said...

Rachel - thx! and good luck for your Oct run.

HL -keke...actually, its related. If got interest, then the stamina can get thru training.

Chi2 - hahahahahahha!! kena kidnap oledi!! Yeah, never knew I wld develop an interest in running.
And yup, u know how kiasu both girls are. haha.

Ai - thx. and u know wat....he wasn't even a cute guy!! just me being kiasu. hehe. Come to think of it, if it was a cute guy, I may have run TWO km instead. :-)

Cat - wah, didn't know your bro is such a running freak! but come to think of it, he does look like one.

Shireen - why not??? ;-)

Barbs - thx! sure can go 12km one. If cannot run, then just walk.

cre8tone said...

Well done!