Erin's Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Elyssa's Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Chap Goh Meh 2012

We went to Book Xcess in Amcorp Mall after dinner recently and were really surprised at the large number of cars going into the parking lot.

Then I suddenly realised - it was Chap Goh Meh! I've read about the annual Chap Goh Meh celebration at the nearby Taman Jaya before.

We proceeded as planned to the bookshop then headed to Taman Jaya around 10pm. Wow, I was surprised at the scale of the celebration! Huge crowd and there was a even a stage with karoake singing, plenty of lok-lok vans and other food stalls, stalls selling knick knacks etc. There were plenty of oranges in the lake too and I saw some guys fishing them out :)

Atmosphere @ Taman Jaya
What attracted me the most were the "Kong Ming" lanterns. Easily more than 50 up in the sky! It's still banned in Malaysia so I was surprised to see it being openly released like that. It was a really pretty sight, especially against the full moon that night.
.
Some youths releasing a lantern
Up, Up and Away !


Lanterns against the Full Moon

Elyssa with her Daddy

Left hand behind his back to hide the HUGE stash of comics he bought at Boox Xcess. Hmpph....guys and their "toys"!

Erin was fretting a little so didn't stay long that night.

But really glad that we manage to catch the Chap Goh Meh celebration there that night!

8 comments:

mom2ashley said...

I'd love to see the Kong Ming lanterns. I can imagine what a hazard it'd pose to low flying planes...

Ai Sakura said...

how lovely to see the lanterns! I've only seen them on TV shows.. I think it is banned in Singapore too haha

Ai @ Sakura Haruka

cre8tone said...

Nice celebrations!~

ChloeRuoyi said...

Oh where have I been? I've never heard of this happening CGM celebration in Taman Jaya and I've never seen a real kong ming lantern release before... the closest is the one in the Rapunzel cartoon :)

Chinneeq said...

Did u watch Tangled? Wonder if they stole our idea of the Kong Ming Ten, hehe...

Adrine said...

Hwei Li / Chin Nee - I've not seen the Rapunzel cartoon yet. :)

Mommy to Chumsy said...

oh i didn't know it was a huge celebration at Taman Jaya. Must be fun. The temple we go to every Chap Goh Mei would release these Kong Ming lanterns. Though I love seeing them, I shudder to think of the consequences. What if one landed on a rooftop of a house??

Adrine said...

Barbara - I agree! It's actually quite dangerous too. Saw one that didn't "fly" properly. It started to come downwards instead of upwards and flames were licking the side of the lantern. Luckily someone caught hold of it and stomped out the fire inside.